Monday, December 6, 2010

Our Holiday Tradition


We're only weeks away from one of the biggest holiday seasons of the year. I'm not sure how big it's going to be for each of you, but for me it will be about the same as always.

All though the number of presents I give and receive has diminished greatly over the last few years, the celebrating with family and friends is still the same. It's the one time I can see my kids and grand kids under one roof. For years now we've gathered at someones place on Xmas Eve no later than 9 p.m., bringing tamales, cookies, hot apple cider, candy canes and presents. It's can be dangerous sometimes to have the entire family together, especially when they start reminiscing about old times and beginning sentences that start with the words, remember the time when....of course everybody remember a different version of the same story, I'm not sure how that happens. Announcing that the food is ready usually stops all conversation and everybody rushes to the kitchen and begins to eat. No matter what the financial situation is in the world , we always find a way to eat. My Kids and the older Grand kids cook well and love to eat, but you'd never know that by looking at them, because most of them have very thin frames, like me. Usually after we have stuffed our faces we have our Family photo session, It's a rare occasion when I have all of my kids in the same room together, so I take advantage of the opportunity. I'm so excited that a few of my grand kids are camera fanatics like me, so there's lots of picture at the end of the night. Well now the fun is about to begin, NO! it's not time to open presents it's time to play the white elephant 99 cents Christmas game. What, you've never played this game, well our Family plays it every year rain or shine. Yes, you guested it the conversation starts back up again and it starts with, remember the Christmas when you got...the. Someone always repeats the list of the prank gifts that have been given over the years and the laughter begins again. I enjoy shopping for this game, I always get practical items that anybody could use that only costs 99 cents that includes candy or food items, my budget is around $20.00-25.00. I wrap each item up just like a present. Now, my kids are all a bunch of practical JOKERS, you never now which gift to pick. Last years winner was poop scooping bags...which would have been a great gift, except none of us had a dog. LOL! We play this game until the last gift is gone, or all the items can no longer be snatched away. Others have played this game with us and have vowed to return for revenge. "We say to them, bring your 99 cent gifts and let's get it on, just kidding." T'is the season to be jolly! LOL! Our Family has found this to be a recession proof way to enjoy the holidays. We eat, play and laugh till we cry. You might want to give this a try with your Family..

Happy Holiday from my Family to you and yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Make a personalized gift at Zazzle.

My Blog List