Monday, January 8, 2007

Homeschooling

I finally had an opportunity to read yesterday, not a book, the newspaper.

I read a few articles in my local Sunday paper.
I just start back with home delivery.
I found a very interesting article about Homeschooling.
My kids are all grown, but I do have a few grand kids in public schools.
My oldest Daughter has been contemplating the idea of homeschooling her two boys for the past few years. We have discussed the pros and cons of this issue many times. According to the article many parents started out teaching at home to insure that their children where being taught their Family values and beliefs.
With the growing amount of violence in the schools this has only increased the number of kids being home schooled.
The article stated that between 1999 and 2003 the percentage has rose from 1.4 to 1.8 which represented almost 900,000 children. WOW, that's a larger number than I ever imagined! They're still collecting data to see if this number will increase.
So that means a lot of kitchen tables have been turned into classrooms.
After reading the paper I started scanning my computer and found a E-book resource
for my Daughter to get books for the boys. The have story books and vocabulary lesson too. The article also mentioned there are more text books being developed each year for the home school community. This was all so fascinating to me, wish this opportunity existed when I was attending school. My main worry was about the social aspect of home schooling, but as I understand it in some homeschooling communities they have social activities for the kids to participate in.
The gr8 thing I found out in the article was there are Colleges now that are starting to accept home schooled kids, without a lot of bureaucratic red tape.
It's amazing what you can find out when you read...

No comments:

Post a Comment


Make a personalized gift at Zazzle.

My Blog List